Helping Seniors Stay Young at Heart
Pet Helper’s Seniors for Seniors Adoption Program was developed to help senior humans rediscover the joys of having a cat or dog in their lives. The program places senior cats and dogs (8+ years of age) with senior citizens who are 60 years of age or older.
Pet Helpers Adoption Counselors will help you select a companion animal that fits into your lifestyle and housing situation. Your adoption fee will be waived thanks to a generous grant provided by 100 Women Who Care Charleston.
Benefits of Adopting a Senior Pet
- Research tells us that companion animals, such as cats and dogs, can help improve our physical and mental health. By adopting and spending time with a shelter pet, you can experience the benefits of lowered stress levels and blood pressure.
- Cats and dogs provide friendship for lonely individuals and open opportunities for interacting with others which an older person may miss, particularly if one’s family is far away.
- The company of a beloved pet has been proven to reduce depression.
- The quiet and doting home of a senior citizen is the perfect match for an older animal looking for a new home.
- Senior animals offer gentler, calmer companionship and often are already trained.
How the Program Works
At Pet Helpers, we focus on the importance of human-animal bonding, and we hope you enjoy years of companionship with your adopted furry companion. The Seniors for Seniors program is meant to make it easy for you to make an emotional commitment to a pet in need, without the stress of a financial commitment you may not be able to maintain in your golden years.
Visit the shelter to meet with one of our adoption counselors who will help you pick out the perfect senior pet for you and your lifestyle. Our counselors will provide you with great tips to help you transition your new pet into your home. We want to ensure you and your new cat or dog are doing well, so after you take your new best friend home, we will reach out to learn how your new cat or dog has settled into your home. We love pictures and invite you to share stories!